Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Akiba > Akiba > Main Forum

Old 4th June 2007   #11
Sunray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brea View Post
DIR EN GREY they realy cool there the first J-Rock band i've started to listen
+1. The only rock group I'm listening to now. Yurameki, Akuro No Oka, Hotarubi, 24ko Cylinder, Karasu, THE FINAL
Sunray is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 24th August 2007   #12
VadikRamm

Dak cesna imi plac nu mai tare ca GIRUGAMESH sau D`espairsRay Da poliube ascult cu mare placere multe piese :D
VadikRamm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 6th October 2007   #13
Sachiko

Great band...Huge potential and talent."With an intesity that i haven't seen in a while"---->Jonathan Davis,KoRn.
It's songs never bore me and the lyrics are special.Kyo knows how to entertain especialy with teh fish-hooking...Some ppl were shocked and protested because he did it at Family Values Tour.God dammit,it's just blood,not internal organs u peep-squeeks !
I have the last album but i haven't listened to it yet -____-'...baka....

Actually i didn't really like the time when they were part of visual kei,kinda average and they looked too much like the others(by appearance i mean,not singing)...

If u are stupid enough to say "omg,he's scary,why does he do that?omg,someone should put him to jail" like one of my classmates did(-__-') then u can flush ur brainless,dickless,motherfucking body into the toilet and i'll wave happy to u "Sayounara..." :lol:

Old 6th October 2007   #14
Dead
Learner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachiko View Post
Great band...Huge potential and talent."With an intesity that i haven't seen in a while"---->Jonathan Davis,KoRn.
It's songs never bore me and the lyrics are special.Kyo knows how to entertain especialy with teh fish-hooking...Some ppl were shocked and protested because he did it at Family Values Tour.God dammit,it's just blood,not internal organs u peep-squeeks !
I have the last album but i haven't listened to it yet -____-'...baka....

Actually i didn't really like the time when they were part of visual kei,kinda average and they looked too much like the others(by appearance i mean,not singing)...

If u are stupid enough to say "omg,he's scary,why does he do that?omg,someone should put him to jail" like one of my classmates did(-__-') then u can flush ur brainless,dickless,motherfucking body into the toilet and i'll wave happy to u "Sayounara..." :lol:
totally agree!

Old 7th October 2007   #15
BlackCross
raging lunacy

"Pain in a Japanese way"

'Japanese Dir en grey got a hot welcome in Finland. Sun was shining brightly and the fans were crying out of happiness.'

The metal wonder from Kemi, Sonata Arctica is one of the most popular Finnish bands in Japan. Therefore it was funny to notice how Sonata and the Japanese bands who performed in Finland this year seemed to attract each other. In Ruisrock Sonata had their room backstage right beside D'espairsRay and, surprisingly, in Ankkarock the band was accommodated right beside Dir en grey.

A friendship instantly developed between D'espairsRay and Sonata, but the guys of Dir en grey had other things to do than get acquainted with the northern metalheads. The Japanese musicians seemed to be considerably interested in the attempts to get hot air balloon ready to go, not to mention the great show of Nine Inch Nails.

'We have been waiting for this!'

But let's go about five hours back from Nine Inch Nails.

The expected performance of Dir en grey was slowly beginning, and the superfans of the band had already occupied the front of the stage a good while ago. The front lines were filled with spectacular bunch of people and the photographers were enthusiastically snapping photographs of the Dir en grey -fans who had invested in their appearances. The tension of most eager fans is erupted in sobbing.

It's relatively calm behind the stage. The guys of Dir en grey [Kyo?; vocals, Kaoru; guitar, Die; guitar, Toshiya; bass and Shinya; drums] are walking around with no haste. The musicians have to be nervous before the show in a big Finnish festival, but the excitement doesn't show in their gestures or expressions. Especially seemingly shy Kyo? looks completely calm while peeking from underneath the fringe of his hair.

Then it's already the awaited hour; 16:00! The intro-tape explodes on from the loudspeakers and the front lines practically go crazy. Now it's not anymore the tears of only a couple of persons, since almost every other fan has tears glistening in the corner of their eyes. This is undoubtedly the most awaited moment for a lot of fans of music this summer.

Dir en grey shows straight from the beginning how experienced performer it is. The men walk on stage looking indifferent, almost as if the audience didn't even exist. There are small swings of arm towards the gang, but that's about it. Kyo? is completely a chapter of his own; Mister doesn't seem to give a damn about the screaming bunch of people in front of him.

When the first song begins the charismatic vocalist practically goes mad. The man who scratches himself suddenly goes around on stage and twists his body here and there seemingly violently. Soon shirt gets to leave too as the singer reveals his tattooed upper body. And in the front lines people are sighing in deep in delight.

'In the beginning there was the noise'

Let's go back in time once more, only a couple of hours though. Suosikki [the mag where the interview is] had been promised an interview with Dir en grey. The so called father-figure of the bunch, Kaoru, and the translator who is helping with the situation appear there as planned, and after a bit less than half an hour the chatting can begin pleasantly. Kaoru turns out to be a pondering musician who thinks about his answers long. That's a good thing.

Q: Dir en grey was founded about ten years ago. Are you going to throw a party to celebrate this?
A: Probably not. Too many bands announce they're celebrating some weird milestones, although the real reason for what they do is only to sell more CDs. We are not going to be a part of something like that, for us this year is completely the same than any other year.

Q: What was your objective in 1997 when you founded Dir en grey?
A: Well, if I'm completely honest we put the band together because we wanted to goof off during gigs and make as much noise as possible. Pretty soon we noticed though that this wasn't enough for us, and we begun to develop it further, to more original direction. In Japan there wasn't really any cool bands playing hard-rock in the end of 90s. We decided to fill in that gap.

Q: What kind of music did you listen to in the 90s?
A: There was really cool underground-music made in Japan, especially in the end of the 80s. We liked mostly these bands and oartists before forming our own band. When the career of Dir en grey then begun, I started to listen to more metal and industrial like Ministry and Nine Inch Nails. Alternative rock, Like Smashing Pumpkins was interesting too.

'Pain is agony in Japanese'

Q: How was the very first gig of Dir en grey ever?
A: Undeniably a weird happening. We plaid in a club where there was a pool in the middle of the floor. Kyo? managed to break down one micstand too, and the owner of the place told us we would never get in there again. Well, it didn't bother us much, because we didn't like the place in the slightest.

Q: You have a lot of tattoos although they're pretty rare in Japan still.
A: You're right! Tattoos had a really bad reputation in Japan before, because of all kinds of Mafia things. Nowadays it's changing and tattoos are in fashion amongst the young. I haven't taken these for fashion though, but the tattoos have their own, deep meaning for me.

Q: How would you describe the music of Dir en grey to people who haven't listened to you before?
A: We want to tell about our own feelings through the music of this band, especially the negative feelings. There is a negative side to each person, but most are afraid to show it. Pain, despair and other things like those are necessary, since without them there isn't any contrary feelings either.

Q: And how would you describe your lyrics?
A: The style of performing the words is very important to us. Thankfully Kyo? is able to sing in a very versatile ways, and although the listener doesn't understand his lyrics he can gather much from for example the tones of voice. It's really important for us that the listeners are able to sense the deeper meaning in every song. In some of our songs there is also words in English, but we don't want to write only in English. We wouldn't be able to transfer all the feelings we want to the listeners. For example in Japanese there is several ways to say the English word 'pain' [this is where the title refers to as well, as in Finnish there are many ways to say those too]. Our own language offers an endless amount of options.

'Visual, right?'

Q: What kind of visual things you like nowadays?
A: If one watches our music videos for example, it's clear that we like especially horror movies. But music always comes first. Only after we've collected the music and lyrics for each album we begin to think about the visual side of the whole thing. Like in the old pictures of us tell too, visual side has been losing its meaning in the world of Dir en grey.

Q: Japanese rock music and -culture is really popular in Finland right now too. Why?
A: I am of course happy for our success, but I can't tell the reason. I know that heavy music is really popular in Finland. We aren't a pure metal band, but of course there is metal-elements in our songs. When this raw sound is combined with Japanese culture, the result apparently is something interesting.

Q: You've played in China too. What was the experience like?
A: We played in Shanghai for example. There rock-shows aren't arranged that often, and we were welcomed really enthusiastically. I felt the energy of people clearly. In Japan I can sense the huge power that's dwelling in the cities, but in China the same energy was rising mainly from people.

Q: How does the future of your band look like? When are we going to see you in Finland again?
A: We're going to make a long tour in Japan in the autumn. We are thinking about coming back to Europe too, but the tour is only being planned right now.

Q: And in the end; If you only had an hour to live, what would you do?
A: I would get a Japanese dinner from somewhere. After that I would only wait patiently for time to pass. [this last question was asked from him twice in Finland and he gave two different answers x)]

[EDITED TO ADD] I have no idea why there's a question mark after Kyo's name each time. It was like that in the original text and I copied it from there x)
BlackCross is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 20th October 2007   #16
BlackCross
raging lunacy

The New Single!!!

Old 29th October 2007   #17
L.A.
Learner

Yeah, they are the greatest one, huh, they make the history, and like X-japan they change all j-rock music...
Now they are other, they took a lot from different american bands, but they are still the most original japan rock band.

Old 6th November 2007   #18
BlackCross
raging lunacy

Poze de la concertul Diru la care am fost recent.

Old 3rd December 2007   #19
D'espaGirl

yeap...enjoy
Dintre trupele mele preferate e pe al doilea loc dupa D'espairsRay!
D'espaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 20th December 2007   #20
november
Elder

iata ca i-am ascultat un pic si eu.. imi desplace una - parca canta cu nasul astupat..
unele piese sunt ablosut ne-metal-ice.. wcis?// nu-metal
sa vedem ce va fi peste vreo 2 zile de ascultare ))
november is offline   Reply With Quote